History Of Bački Petrovac
Bački Petrovac is in an area that has been inhabited since ancient times, but because of the constant riots, nobody has lived here for a long time. According to historical data, the first inhabitants were Celts and Lazyges, a large number of the conquerors of the Avars, who quickly moved. After them, Slovenian tribes Bodrici and Limiganti are mentioned, the Hungarians, the Turks, the Serbs came after, and the Czechs then came in the 16th century. After the battle of Mohács in 1526, the Turks ravaged the entire Backa and destroyed 734 populated places. Many of them have not been restored, but their names have remained. There is data showing settlements called Bodonj, Telek, Dragovo, Bega, Kirti, Nandža, Kostolište and others lived here, biggest being the Dragovo. Thanks to the archaeological excavations, a wealth of information is obtained, and the first inhabitants, the Bunjevci, are mentioned in 1688. They were in fact the Serbs Uniates, who took the Greek Catholic religion and whose origin was from Herzegovina, near the Buna river.
The name Petrovac dates back from the 12th century, when it gained independence and church municipality. It was named after the church dedicated to Saint Peter. After the arrival of Slovaks, the name Petrovec was used. After the First World War, it was called Petrovec (Bačka, Kingdom of SHS, later Kingdom of Yugoslavia), and after the Second World War it got its current name Bački Petrovac. During the Rakoczy rebellion (1703-1711), Petrovac avoided devastation, but it is still not known today how it happened, however, the data about it can be found in Taubov’s travelogue.
On the basis of the Turkish notebook (land registry), one can see that Petrovac was densely populated during the Turkish period. After their departure, the entire area of South Bačka was a military border, and arable land belonged to the King's chamber, so-called Military command. The county administration was located in Futog, to which Petrovac, Gložan, Kisač, Begeč, Rumenka and Kamendin belonged. It is stated in the books (Serbian: Peštanske knjige) that the land property of Futog included 24,000 kj of land and that approximately in 1703, a baron J. Nekem took over a seigniory of Futog from Bačka military administration for 24,959 Roman forints.
Later owners of Futog alternated. First was the earl Buterur in 1721, and then the estate was taken over by the King's chamber in 1726. The following year 1727, it passed into the hands of Joseph Odvajer, and then the earl Kavrijan in 1731. The descendants of Arsenije Čarnojević the third, the brothers Carnojevic, led by Mihailo (Miša) are also mentioned as the owners. Due to the settlement of the Slovaks, the heir earl Andras Hadik is significant for us. The last owners of Futog were from the family of Brunswick (1776-1848) who divided the land up to peasants. Petrovec, the first Slovak municipality on the territory of Yugoslavia was established on a Futog farm in 1745.
An author of the text – a professor B. Mileusnić