Visit spiritual and historical heritage!

THE MUSEUM OF SLOVAKS OF VOJVODINA

The museum of Slovaks of Vojvodina, founded in 2012, is the legal successor of the National Museum in Backi Petrovac founded in 1949.
The museum of Slovaks of Vojvodina belongs to the institutions of great importance in the culture of the Slovaks in Serbia. It is a true treasure of material and spiritual culture of Slovaks in Vojvodina, acknowledged by the decision of the National Council of Slovak national minority to be an institution of great significance for Slovak national minority. The aim of this museum is to study, process professionally, collect, document, preserve and present the material and spiritual goods of ethnological, historical and artistic character from the past of Slovaks of Vojvodina.
As a part of its organizational structure, the Museum of Slovaks of Vojvodina includes the Gallery of Zuzka Medvedova and the cultural-historical monument “The Homeland house in Petrovac”.
The co-founders of the Museum of Slovaks of Vojvodina are the municipality of Backi Petrovac and the National Council of Slovak national minority.

Adress:

Muzej vojvođanskih Slovaka Maršala Tita 23
21470 Bački Petrovac
Republika Srbija

Office:
Maršala Tita 5-7, office number 19
21470 Bački Petrovac
Republika Srbija

Galerija Zuzke Medveđove
Kolarova 1
21470 Bački Petrovac

Zavičajna kuća
Ul. Branislava Mokića 7
21470 Bački Petrovac

Tel.: 021/781-377
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.muzeumslovakov.rs

THE MATICA SLOVENSKÁ

It was established in the time of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes in 1932 on the day of the Slovak National celebrations. The house of Ljudevit Misik, which is where the Matica Slovenská is, is dating from the period before the Second World War. The work of this institution was interrupted on several occasions, but was renewed immediately after the Second World War. It is an association of citizens and organizations dedicated to the development of culture and the arts. It is the main organizer of Slovak folk festival every year, as a form of strengthening the national identity.

Adress:

Kolarova 4
21470 Bački Petrovac
Tel/fax: 780-248
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THE NATIONAL MUSEUM IN BAČKI PETROVAC

It was established in 1949. It is located in the building of the Matica slovenská in the centre of Petrovac. The collection of museum is consisted of manufactured artifacts, folk costumes, and a rich archive. Most of the artifacts in the museum date from the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century.

Adress:

Kolarova 4
21470 Bački Petrovac
Tel/fax: 780-248
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THE HOMELAND HOUSE IN BAČKI PETROVAC

It dates from 1799. Its original building was renovated. It is furnished in the original style typical for that period and is under protection of state. It is equipped with authentic piece could be heated s of furniture, kitchenware and other household objects. It was made of pise, covered with reeds. The characteristic appearance of the house during this period gives small windows, small low door, and small rooms that could easily heat up. There were two village stoves in the house in which everything could be heated, from dog rose and cornstalks to wood, and was used for preparing food.

Adress:

Branislava Mokića 9
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
Tel 021/ 780-040

GALLERY "ZUZKA MEDVEDOVA"

It has organized more than 50 solo exhibitions since its founding in 1989 until today. This gallery is the organizer of the most important joint exhibition of the Biennale of Slovak painters in Serbia. Its work has helped contemporary Slovak fine arts to become one of the wealthiest segments of contemporary culture. It was named after the first academic painter of the Vojvodina Slovaks, who has left her entire opus in this environment.

Adress:

Kolarova 2
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 780-040

THE AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM IN KULPIN

It was established in 1993 as the only museum institution specialized in the country for study and research of agrarian past. The agricultural museum in Kulpin includes the complex of castles in the park, which are under the state protection as monument buildings. The complex is situated beside the two castles, administrative buildings, so called a blacksmith shop, stables, and grain storage. The museum is surrounded by a magnificent park of 4.5 hectares, which is a natural monument-arboretum of rare and protected plant species. Park represented a first-rate artwork of horticultural and garden art within the manors. This museum organizes permanent thematic and temporary exhibitions.

Historical data show that the facilities were built in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century for the noble Stratimirović family. Maria Theresa donated the family this estate for their services in the war against the Turks, on the side of Austria in 1745. The Stratimirović family had been the owner of the land in Kulpin for about 120 years. At the end of the nineteenth century (in 1889), their property became the property of the Dunđerski family. They were the owners until 1945, when the property was nationalized. These buildings belong to the epoch of classicism both stylistically and temporally. The great castle “Kaštel” acquired its present appearance during restoration in 1912. A small castle called “The old castle” is a ground floor building in the same style.

Adress:

Trg oslobodjenja 1
21472 Kulpin, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 2286-266
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THE SLOVAK VOJVODINA THEATER

The Slovak Vojvodina Theater is the youngest professional theater in Vojvodina. It was founded in 2003 in Bački Petrovac as an institution that would unite the entire theater life of the Slovaks in this area.

Adress:

Kolarova 2
21470 Bаčki Petrovac
Tel : 021/ 780-168, 021/ 780-040
www.backipetrovac.org.yu/
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LIBRARY "ŠTEFAN HOMOLA"

The establishment of the Slovak library in 1845 was associated with the work of the church Sunday school in Bački Petrovac, which was led by Štefan Homola. The library was the first public institution of its kind in this region inhabited by Slovaks. It had 130 books at the beginning. Today, it has about 40 000 titles, out of which the county collection of Vojvodina Slovaks contains over 5 000 books, and periodicals in Slovak, and a collection of old and rare books containing over 2 000 books. The oldest book dates from 1690.

Adress:

Kolarova 2
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 781-335
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

GALLERY URBANČEK

A painter, V. Urbanček, has lived in America for many decades. He has acquired his painting skills there. The citizens of Petrovac consider him as their artist, who shows the customs of local Slovak people on the authentic paintings. His house and the gallery are always opened for all guests and visitors who want to see the artist while working.

Adress:

JNA 24
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
Tel: 021/782-715

AQUA PARK PETROLAND

Aqua Park PETROLAND has been the largest built tourist amusement attraction in Serbia so far. It is also the most modern aqua park in the Balkan area. It is located in the municipality of Bački Petrovac. Geothermal water that springs from a depth of about 800 meters, with temperature higher than 40 degrees, allows the use of complex of the aqua park during the colder months, while modern technology allows the cooling of water during summer heat.

The total area of the aqua park is 20 ha. Construction is planned to be in three main stages.

The first stage was completed in October 2011.

There are water amusement attractions with more than 20 large and small slides on an area of about 8 ha. There is the largest children's water castle and three towers with the water slides as a part of this aqua park. The aqua park has six pools and other entertainment contents for children and adults. Of course, there is a wide range of catering services and other ancillary services. You can find more pieces of information about the aqua park here - www.petroland.rs.

Adress:

Novosadski Put bb
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.petroland.rs

SLOVAK EVANGELICAL CHURCH

Slovaks evangelists moved to Petrovac in 1745. They brought with them the religious writings - Králická Bible and Tranoscius, but they did not have the right for free expression of their religion for very long. Times changed with issuance of Patent tolerance of Emperor Joseph II in 1781, when they finally got the right for decorating their church organization. The first church was built in 1783. Petrovac became the center of spiritual life of Slovaks in Bačka. The former priest Ondrej Stehl was inherited by his son Jan who launched initiative to build a new church because the old building, couldn't fulfill its function no longer due to the large increase in population.
The citizens of Petrovac invited an architect Jakub Smaus in 1821 and soon began the construction of a new church, which was completed in 1823, and was the second largest church in Europe. The parish house was built during 1837 and 1838, next to the church, which was at the time a modern fitted building. The priest Juraj Mrva took over the Petrovac church in 1868. During his regimen, Karol Miloslav Lehocki (1907) decorated the altar with the painting "The Last Supper". Thanks to Mrva, cultural activity was developed among Slovaks in Petrovac and its surrounding area. The church building has been renovated several times in order to maintain the original appearance.

Adress:

Maršala Tita 10
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 780-563

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Petrovac was initially inhabited only with adherents of the Evangelical church. After arrival of the first immigrants from Croatia and Bosnia, the Catholic Bishop Lajco Budanović bought a parcel in the center of Petrovac in 1937 and then began construction of a church dedicated to Saint Adalbert. The works were completed in 1938. The Catholic Church was under the jurisdiction of the Futoška Catholic Church. The number of Catholics increased after the Second World War, when several families migrated from Bosnia.

Adress:

XIV VUSB 8
21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija

THE BAPTIST CHURCH

The Baptist Church in Bački Petrovac was founded in 1897. The old church building in the center of the village experienced its centennial jubilee. Due to the growth in the number of believers in 2000, the vision of building a new, modern house of prayer with all the accompanying facilities was born. In the following years, this vision came true. The whole project was built mostly with voluntary work of local and several foreign groups. Official opening of the new church building was on 26 June 2005. The message of the ceremony was "... because my home shall be called the prayer home for all nations." (The Bible, Isaiah 56, 7 b). This verse even today reflects the holy service of the Baptist church in Petrovac and beyond. Beside the main auditorium (capacity of 850 seats), there are additional rooms for creative services for all generations.

Adress
Kulpinska 84, 21470 Bački Petrovac, Srbija

Tel: 021/ 781 899

THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH IN KULPIN

Shortly after the formation of the village, residents of Kulpin started to build the church. Until then, the believers gathered in small areas. Work began on the construction on May in 1875, which lasted the next five years. This religious building was built by a famous architect from Novi Sad called Alojz Čoček, in neo-Romanesque style. There are three bells in the tower. Two-hand organs for the church were purchased in Budapest in 1891. A sculpture of King David with the harp located at the top of the acoustic tube makes them unique. The altar painting depicts "The Last Supper", which is very similar version to that of Leonardo da Vinci. The church is exceptionally acoustic, as experienced by many famous musicians who held concerts in this temple.

Adress:

Maršala Tita
21472 Kulpin, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 786-107

THE ORTHODOX CHURCH IN KULPIN

The Orthodox Church of the Ascension of Jesus in Kulpin was built in 1813 on the place of the former old church, thanks to the patronage of the Stratimirović family. The iconostasis is the work of art of the famous icon painter Jovan Kljajić. This is a unique work of art, unsurpassed, like no other seen in any Vojvodina churches. All members of the famous Stratimirović family, who represented the highest level of Serbian military and ecclesiastical aristocracy in the Habsburg Monarchy, are buried in the churchyard of this church.
Stefan Stratimirović – the Metropolitan, was born in 1757 in Kulpin. He was the Metropolitan of Sremski Karlovci (1790-1836). He had been the spiritual leader of the Serbian people and churches in Vojvodina for a long time. Georgije Branković – the Patriarch, was born in Kulpin. He was the Metropolitan of Sremski Karlovci and Serbian Patriarch (1890-1907). He erected the Patriarch's Palace and Theological school in Sremski Karlovci. He is the founder of the first Serbian girls' school in Kulpin and a number of schools in places in Vojvodina.

Adress:

Maršala Tita 98
21472 Kulpin, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 786-115

THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH IN GLOŽAN

Residents of Gložan sought permission to organize the church choir in 1780, but this request was denied. However, Joseph II issued Patent of Tolerance in 1781, in which every settlement with more than 100 families received opportunity "to support the priest and build a church". The first priest, Petar Jesenski came in Gložan on 24 May 1786, with Stefan Somodi and Pavle Sloboda. With the arrival of these people, began the cultural hoist of Gložan village. Since 1791, residents of the village begin to gather material for the start of construction. The stone for the foundation of the church was collected at a nearby location, on the former Roman fortress "Castrum Onagrinum", which disappeared without a trace from that time. The temple was consecrated in 1797 by Petrovac priest Ondrej Stehlo. The new altar was built by Jakub Šmaus during 1812 and 1813. Large reconstructions were made in 1924 and at the end of the twentieth century.

Adress:

Maršala Tita 94
21412 Gložan, Srbija
Tel: 021/ 788-043

THE ORTHODOX CHURCH IN GLOŽAN

The Orthodox Church in Gložan was mentioned in the scriptures in the eighteenth century. The current church was built in 1839. The interior is modestly decorated; the icon paintings do not have high artistic value. One valuable icon is a gift from Peter Vasilić from Čib (in Čelarevo), which dates from 1856. The place of worship is dedicated to John the Baptist. Church books were conducted from 1868 to 1889. Decrease in the number of Serbian population which often moved to Čib and Begeč is visible in the statistics. A church school was mentioned in Gložan at the end of the nineteenth century. The Orthodox Church had performed its duties until the end of the Second World War, when most Serbs moved to the neighboring villages.

Adress:

Osloboditelska 61
21412 Gložan, Srbija

THE GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH IN MAGLIĆ

A wooden building for prayer was erected during the settlement of today Maglić (the former Buljkeš) in the second half of the eighteenth century. Due to poor materials, it soon became dilapidated and ruined, residents of Buljkeš unanimously decided to build a new church in 1814. The foundation stone was laid on September 29 1817. The church was built on October 1820. The inscription "Deo et DeVoton BULkeszenes DICant Evangelici" is placed above the door, which means, "Dedicated devotion to God from evangelical Buljkeš people", the year 1820 is read from the big Latin letters. The external appearance of the building is in the Baroque style. The interior of the church building was damaged after the Second World War.

THE ORTHODOX CHURCH IN MAGLIĆ

The national structure changed in Buljkeš after the Second World War and the predominant population was of Serbian nationality. Due to the settlement of the families of the Orthodox religion, there was a need for building new places of worship. The foundations of the church were laid in 2006 and construction has continued. The church is dedicated to Saint Lazarus.